Home | Forum | Submit Article | Contact | Calgary Real Estate 

Talk Calgary 
 
 Energy Talk
 
 Business Talk
 
 Real Estate Talk
 
 Photography Talk
Search

Real Estate Talk Last Updated: Apr 11th, 2010 - 11:26:54


Calgary Landlord fined $92,000 after death of two tenants in house fire.
By Diane Kelly
Apr 11, 2010, 11:24

Email this article
 Printer friendly page
A landlord in Calgary has been fined $92,000 after two of his tenants died in a house fire.  The two tenants: Darrell Wright and Rock Mitchell died in July of 2008 and it's taken till 2010 for judgement. 

It seems an electrical overload caused the fire.  The property was zoned as a single family dwelling, but Yan Teng Li who owned the property had 8 individual suites.  To think that Yan Teng Li had nailed the windows shut, and had no smoke detectors in place. This man just obviously has no care for human life.   These people had no chance to get out.   

I hope that this is a warning to other landlords.  Any bedroom suite must have windows, and the windows need to have a 3.8 sq ft openable area. 

Yan Teng Li received one of the highest fines levied in a Calgary city case.

Diane Kelly

http://calgarytalk.com/bbs/view_topic.php?id=624&forum_id=2


Copyright TALKCalgary.com
Calgary's Most Talked About Website


Top of Page

Real Estate Talk
Latest Headlines
Calgary Landlord fined $92,000 after death of two tenants in house fire.
Arbour Lake
Albert Park SE Calgary.
Abbeydale, NE Calgary, Alberta
Buying Your Home
Selling your home
Exposure of your home....
Selling your home in the winter months
Interest Rate Hike
Top 10 Condo Tips